Library Applications Specialist, Queens Library – NY
The Library Applications Specialist will be responsible for the day-today activities of the integrated online library system, including routine and non-routine events and maintenance. Duties will include assisting in the administration, development, testing and maintenance of the organizations Integrated Library System (ILS). Provide management reports for senior staff and outside the organization as needed, as well as provide backup support for preparation of statistical reports. Evaluates request for custom programming and coordinates implementation with vendor and staff.
• Performs access control functions, such as creating and modifying new user groups and assigns the correct permissions. Prepares schedule and work plans for installation & upgrades.
• Works with ITD Staff, ILS Vendor & Third Parties to ensure reliable operation of the ILS.
• Initiate change control for all required work on ILS production system. Work with ITD to ensure that all change controls are adequately recorded and All User Emails are sent without delays.
• Tests ILS core circulation functions before Library opens for business (after upgrade & maintenance work).
• Informs Library Staff of changes that impact their operations before they are implemented and coordinates with administrative staff where needed.
• Trains selected IT staff to assist with systems administration functions and provides ILS-related training to non-IT staff as appropriate.
• Works with CLS and QA analysts to ensure ILS upgrades and maintenance work are fully tested in a satisfactory manner using scripts and regression testing methods.
• Responsible for program specifications including work plans. Develops and monitors all timetables for all approved custom programming requests.
• Ensures third party systems are fully tested prior to rollout.
• Works with ITD staff and Library management to resolve ILS & SIP2 related problems.
• Ensures internal technical problems are resolved in an agreed upon timeframe.
• Report problems that require vendor support immediately and ensure a resolution is established.
• Serves as technical support contact for emergency issues, where customer service is impaired are monitored daily or more frequently depending on level of severity. Non-emergency issues are monitored daily. Ensures the software is properly functioning in production at all times, except for instances caused by documented BW software bugs with a resolution within an agreed upon timeframe.
• Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS:• MLS/MLIS degree required and 2-5 years’ experience in public library service in either; reference; cataloging; serials; acquisitions.
• A working knowledge of one or more ILS products, Virtua preferred. Knowledge of QBPL processes a plus.
• Familiar with electronic resources such as licensed databases (Ebsco, Gale, Wilson); Bibliographic Utilities such as OCLC & RLIN; Internet Resources; e-Books; Library related standards and protocols such as Marc, Z39.50, XML and Metadata Schemes such as Dublin Core and EAD. Active in professional associations such as ALA, PLA, or LITA.
• Must possess the ability to develop, evaluate and execute implementation plans by defining scope, objectives, tasks and deliverables.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines and strong organizational skills.
• Maintain current with new trends and technology. Interpret information to resolve issues, work independently, and make good decisions in a timely manner. An ability to communicate at all levels including executive management.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Library Applications Specialist-QLWB” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
For complete details, see: http://www.queenslibrary.org/services/job-information/careers/current-openings/Library%20Applications%20Specialist