Librarian I, Marketing and Public Relations Specialist, Johnson Public Library – NJ
Description: The Librarian in charge of Public Relations collaboratively creates strategies for and implements initiatives to meet the Library’s outreach, communications, and promotional needs via a variety of venues including print and online publications, websites, digital signage, email, social media, displays, events, and person-to-person contact. This position requires an enthusiastic, warm and friendly professional who understands the mission of a public library and demonstrates passion for the Library’s vision to be the heart of the community.
Education and experience: The Public Relations/Marketing Librarian is required to have a Master’s Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university with undergraduate, continuing education, or graduate coursework in marketing, or related field. In addition, we are seeking someone with a minimum of 3 years of prior experience in a library, preferably in the public relations area. MLS candidates with relevant library experience may be considered.
Salary and Benefits: Salary negotiable, starting at $51,500. Benefits include Medical, Dental, Pension, and generous vacation leave.
Application: Send resume, cover letter and references to Sharon Castanteen, email@example.com by April 1, 2016.
Required skills, knowledge, and ability: The Public Relations Specialist Librarian must be very outgoing and sociable, and have a comprehensive knowledge of:
- Public relations/media relations
- Writing press releases, media alerts
- Think strategically and creatively
- Work effectively with internal and external leaders, staff and administrators
- Handle multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment
- Assist patrons with computer and mobile device questions when covering the Reference Desk
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to foster incredibly strong business relationships. Ability to work well within multiple teams, as well as autonomously, and the ability to encourage and motivate others
- Communicate ideas well both orally and in writing
- Experience with marketing via a variety of social media channels, particularly YouTube, Facebook and Instagram
- Experience in developing, implementing, and assessing successful marketing strategies
- A strong design sense necessary
- Must have knowledge of and experience with Publisher and other publishing tools
- Some grant-writing experience preferred
- Assisting Director on the Board of Trustees’ Strategic Plan. For example: Helping to create and evaluate surveys, meet with various city and business to promote Library services and events and determine the needs of the Community
- Designing flyers and other print marketing tools
- Contacting managers of new apartment buildings for permission to distribute our promotional materials
- Attending Community Events, for example, Chamber of Commerce events, to create a visible presence for the library
- Temporarily taking over Book Sale until able to transition it to the Friends of the Johnson Public Library organization
- Alternating with Director to attend Friends Meetings, helping Friends of the Library to build membership and giving other guidance such as how to run the book sale, or a fundraising program here
- Responsible for design, implementation, printing, and mailing of glossy newsletter of events and services
- Covering Reference Desk as scheduled
- Managing online Government Documents
- Assist Director and other librarians with grant writing