Position: Health Sciences Librarian
For complete posting or to apply:
- - - -
Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollack House in East Hampton, New York, the Mellon Award winning Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook Libraries are known for a wide-range of print and digital resources and world-renowned special collections. The Stony Brook Libraries belong to the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), with a Health Sciences Center Library that is a member of the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. The Libraries are engaged in an ambitious and dynamic strategic planning (2015-2018). The collection exceeds 2 million volumes, including e-books, print and electronic holdings of scholarly journal subscriptions, microforms, music recordings, and a sizable map collection. The SBU Libraries include 6 distinct facilities, including Melville Library, Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Chemistry, Math/Physics, Southampton and Health Sciences Libraries, and SUNY Korea-SBU campus. The University’s Libraries stand as the largest academic research library on Long Island, serving as a resource in the local community, state-wide, and nationally and internationally. The Libraries maintain memberships and affiliations in arXiv, Association of Research Libraries, SPARC, Center for Research Libraries, SUNY Connect, DuraSpace (as a SUNY member) the Council on Library and Information Resources, Digital Library Federation, Coalition of Networked Information, EDUCAUSE, Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research, Roper Center, OCLC Research Library Partnership, and ORCID through the National Network of the National Libraries of Medicine. The Libraries utilize Ex Libris’ Aleph for its integrated library system and have recently deployed EBSCO’s Discovery Service, DSpace, Content DM, and Omeka, are used for managing digital assets and a growing Institutional Repository.
Descriptive Title: Health Sciences Librarian REF#: F-9682-16-08
Budget Title: Senior Assistant/Associate Librarian Faculty Position
Department: University Libraries Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Required Qualifications: MLS or equivalent from an ALA accredited program. Evidence of the ability to do research, publication and service consonant with University standards for promotion and tenure. Minimum of one year full time relevant experience in a library. Experience with online information resources and information management tools for health and medicine.
Preferred Qualifications: Advanced degree in education, educational technology, scholarly communications, and experience building and sustaining collections in all formats. Membership (certification) in the Academy of Health Information Professionals. Experience providing information, reference and instructional services in an academic, medical or special library. Experience with online information resources, and information management tools for health and medicine. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple responsibilities and to work collaboratively with others in a team environment. Evidence of flexibility and ability to thrive in a complex environment with excellent communication and analytical skills.
Responsibilities & Requirements: Reporting to the Head of the Health Sciences Library, the Research and Instruction Librarian will contribute to the University Library's suite of service activities, including information and instructional services, scholarly communication and research support services, collection development, liaison and outreach services. The position works most directly with the five Health Sciences Schools and various clinical departments. The successful candidate will:
* Work closely with faculty to establish library programs, services and activities that meet instructional, research and clinical needs.
* Collaborate with other subject specialists on collection development/management and act as liaison to assigned Departments.
* Provide information and instructional services, both in person and using digital media, in areas of liaison responsibility. Digital media may include websites, interactive online learning objects, tutorials and social networking.
* Monitor trends in scholarly publishing in areas of liaison responsibility to inform the design of library services and the development of library collections.
* Provide consultation and instruction on the development of literature searches in support of evidenced-based practice.
* Participate in professional activities and monitor developments in best practices elsewhere to help ensure the excellence of Stony Brook University Libraries research, clinical, and instruction services.
* Contribute to library-wide information, instruction, research support services, including virtual reference.
* Serve on library and/or Stony Brook University campus committees, task forces and working groups.
* Engage in scholarly and professional activities.
* Participate in library and University service.
Special Notes: This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible. Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree<http://www.stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree>. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. However, to guarantee consideration, please apply by 09/16/2016.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application<https://www.asa.stonybrook.edu/asa/ASAForms/Department/HRS/Document/HRSF0113>, cover letter and resume/CV to:
University Libraries Personnel
Melville Library, Room S1430B
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3300
[Apply Online] Use the Resources box located at the bottom of this page.
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 02/14/2017, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350
Click on a job that interests you, then scroll down to read the description.
- Health Sciences Librarian, Stony Brook U (NY)
- Dir for Collns and Rsrc Mgmt, Stony Brook U (NY)
- Librarian for School of Prof'l Studies Grad Prog, ...
- P/T - Ref & Instr Librarian, BCC-CUNY
- Substitute Ref & Inst Librarian, BCC-CUNY
- F/T - Head of Health Sciences Library, Stony Brook...
- User Engagement & Assessment Lib, Rutgers U (NJ)
- F/T - Research & Instr. Librarian, Yeshiva U (NY)
- Head of Southampton Library, Stony Brook U (NY)
- Social Sciences Librarian, Lehigh U (PA)
- ▼ August (10)
- ► 2015 (283)
- ► 2014 (470)
- ► 2013 (467)
- ► 2012 (315)
- ► 2011 (169)
- ► 2010 (235)
Thursday, August 25, 2016
Position: Health Sciences Librarian