Product Manager, Elsevier – NY
As Product Manager-Scopus (http://www.elsevier.com/solutions/scopus) you will conceive and manage the implementation of product features within a portfolio of specific features. You will build features from existing ideas, and help to develop new ideas based on your publishing, information management and technology experience and your contacts with customers, users and internal stakeholders. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy; a big picture vision, but yet also have an eye for detail. You must have the drive to make your vision into a reality, both from an acceptance point of view – being able to sell your idea to senior management, based on data driven arguments combining web analytics and market research – and being able to implement your ideas. You must enjoy spending time with users, customers and internal stakeholders to understand their problems, and find innovative solutions to solve these within the context of the broader product strategy.
You must be able to communicate with all areas of the company. You will work with an engineering counterpart to define product release requirements. You will work with Product Marketing and Marketing Communications to define the go-to-market strategy and positioning of new features/products, helping them to understand the product/feature positioning, key benefits, unique selling points, and target users. You will work with end-to-end project managers in case new product/features warrant disciplined project management across multiple stakeholders. You will also serve as the internal and external evangelist for your product offering, occasionally working with the sales channel and key customers/users.
Managing the entire feature/product line lifecycle from strategic planning to tactical activities, sometimes in close collaboration with dedicated project managers-reporting of progress of activities;
* Specifying requirements and creation of concept definitions for current and future features by conducting market research, by communicating with internal stakeholders, users and customers; and by analyzing user behavior;
* Setting Priorities based on sound and consistent application of business KPOs (revenue, usage/adoption, satisfaction);
* Stakeholder management, manage relationships;
* Competitive analysis, must identify traditional and new competition;
* Driving implementation across multiple teams (engineering as well as marketing communications and product marketing);
* “Selling” ideas and concepts to Senior Management based on data and other insights; communicating the value proposition, key benefits and technical information to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders;
* Working alongside project management for larger implementations.
* Learning and keeping up to date with best practices in product development
* Product Development responsibility 80%, product development accountability 20%.
Qualifications & Experience
* Travel: ~25%
* Previous experience managing geographically distributed teams
* Previous experience managing multiple business cultures and demonstrating diplomacy and cultural sensitivity to said cultures, resulting in a high performing team
Strong customer focus with proven record of success in identifying prevalent and urgent customer problems and developing differentiated solutions that effectively solve those problems
* Minimum of 5+ years of software marketing/ product management experience
* Experience in electronic publishing, IT projects and/or full-text/bibliographic databases is an advantage
* Possess strong analytical reasoning and business acumen; able to assess/determine clear business outcomes
* Strong team player and facilitator who can build consensus across broad and varied stakeholders
* Entrepreneurial skills – good in starting up and seeing through new initiatives
* Expertise in search technology and experience in large-scale search product development
* Proven experience in agile and/or lean life cycle development process and in working with development partners onshore and offshore
* Understanding of information needs of scientists and researchers is a plus
* Outstanding written and oral communication skills
* Fluent in English
* University degree in business, computer science, library science, engineering or technology
To apply: https://reedelsevier.taleo.net/careersection/15/jobdetail.ftl?job=AG+00036&lang=en