# of Openings Remaining: 1
Type: Full-Time Regular
Department: RRS, Reference and Research Services
- Reporting to the Andrew W. Mellon Director, the Director of Reference and Research Services leads the creation, design, and shape of new and innovative services and methodologies for providing reference, resource sharing, research and scholarly support throughout the Library, ensuring and enhancing the quality and consistency of the reference experience for all users.
- Supervises and provides leadership for a department with broad responsibilities to deliver research support to an interdisciplinary and diverse clientele in an evolving information environment, with cooperation from other Library units and external partners providing allied services.
- Establishes priorities, standards, and policies for core services, including reference, resource sharing and cooperative collection access, and document delivery.
- Designs and implements new service models to connect users at all levels of experience to information, research, and subject specialty services across disciplines.
- Collaborates on the development of a dynamic online service environment to engage users with library collections and services, including virtual reference, digital information services, and online scholarly communications.
- Supervises personnel and coaches individual performance.
- Oversees departmental budgets.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited graduate school of Library Science.
- Significant and progressively responsible experience leading and managing within a large library system.
- Successfully demonstrated commitment to providing consistent high quality public service, including in an online environment.
- Successfully demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, identify and assess problems, and decisively implement appropriate solutions or recommendations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant trends in digital libraries, the social aspects of information, and library reference services.
- Demonstrated record of contributions to broader library policies and strategic directions.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Strong team leadership skills and the ability to work collaboratively.
- Flexibility and the ability to thrive in a complex, changing environment with competing demands.
- Preferred: Experience implementing digital library services for reference, research, or scholarly support.