Job ID: 5565
GENERAL DUTIES: Performs teaching, research, and guidance duties in area(s) of expertise as noted below. Shares responsibility for committee and department assignments, performing administrative, supervisory, and other functions as may be assigned.
CONTRACT TITLE: Assistant Professor
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION: The Library at New York City College of Technology seeks a tenure-track faculty member in the rank of Assistant Professor to hold the title of Instruction Librarian. The successful candidate will work with other library faculty to develop and deliver information literacy and library instruction, including collaborative efforts with faculty in all disciplines. This person will be responsible for outreach efforts including an online newsletter, participate in general reference services, and be responsible for designated areas of collection development.
- For assigned classes, workshops, or other presentations, prepare and deliver information resources instruction with a view to developing information literacy: the ability to locate, evaluate, and effectively use the best information available in pursuit of particular research or informational questions.
- Teach one or more sections of the three-credit semester-long undergraduate course LIB 1201, Research and Documentation for the Information Age. Course description and syllabus may be found at http://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/lib1201s9950f11/syllabus/
- Design, write, and edit the department's online newsletter and oversee other public relations efforts to promote the availability of library services and resources and department support for faculty scholarship.
- For assigned hours, provide reference or other one-to-one service to students and faculty to support research or other informational needs. To this end, develop a thorough understanding of our collections in all City Tech curricular subject areas and formats.
Collection Development/Subject Specialist:
- For assigned programs or subject areas, develop and maintain pro-active contacts with teaching faculty departments and assume responsibility for expenditures to develop library collections within established guidelines.
- As time permits, offer subject-related presentations to class sessions and to teaching faculty.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. degree in area(s) of expertise, or equivalent as noted below. Also required are the ability to teach successfully, interest in productive scholarship or creative achievement, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the institution.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: ALA-accredited MLS and second master's degree (or PhD) are required.
Experience teaching in an information literacy program, preferably with a diverse student body. Knowledge of best practices and emerging trends in information and instructional technologies are essential. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and leadership qualities and must be able to work efficiently and effectively on shared projects and department and college committees. Attention to detail and excellent writing skills are desirable. She or he must maintain a record of excellence in librarianship, scholarly achievement (including peer-reviewed publications), and service for reappointment, tenure, and promotion. Experience in an academic library is preferred.
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
BENEFITS: CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants must provide a cover letter, curriculum vita, writing sample, research and teaching statement, and three letters of reference. To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, select "Employment", and "Search Job Listing". You will be prompted to create an account. Return to this job listing using the "Job Search" page and select "Apply Now".
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled with review of applications to begin 3/29/12.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY: CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.