Data Specialist, Queens Library (NY)
Position Title: Data Specialist
Posting Date: October 9, 2015
Salary Range: $49,732 - $63,666
Classification: Senior Librarian
Closing Date: October 23, 2015
Open To: All Qualified Staff are eligible to apply regardless of date of appointment into current position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for database maintenance, configuration, batch processes and trouble-shooting activities. Serves as the technical point person for OCLC, Innovative and other metadata and systems vendors. Assists in the improvement of discovery services on the library website. Prepares staff members for adoption of Bibframe and other linked data initiatives. Performs record overlays, batch record migrations, writes data transformation programs, assists with updates from Virtua to OCLC to maintain accuracy of databases. Generates reports. Serve as technical point person in the library's relationships with ILS, DAMS and metadata vendors. This includes maintaining a running list of enhancements and bug fixes for these systems. Coordinate with ITD staff working to improve the library's discovery layer. Coordinate with Metadata Services staff to create VRA, MARC, Dublin Core and EAD records for archival materials (maps, photographs, manuscripts, musical scores, etc. Must maintain up!
-to-date expertise in the rapidly changing information field, taking a lead on behalf of the library to bring new developments and standards into the library's practices. Train staff on new technologies and best practices around the adoption of Bibframe and other linked data projects. Performs other duties as required.
ALA accredited MLS/MLIS degree and eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian's Certificate required. Experience with cataloging and database management required. Fluency with metadata schemas and crosswalk creation for library and archival materials required. Previous experience with MARC and VRA formats, Microsoft Office Suite, MARC Edit, oXygen XML Editor, Perl, and fluency with ILS and DAMS with Virtua and Vital preferred. NACO and BIBCO experience and familiarity with XML preferred. Able to perform independently, be self-motivated, and juggle multiple tasks with a positive attitude. Attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to work well as a team member. Willingness to adapt to new technologies and processes. Attention to detail and accuracy. Knowledge of Bibframe, the Digital Public Library of America initiative, website development (PHP and other programming languages), and linked data. Fluency in one of the international languages spoken in Queens preferred.
THIS POSITION MAY BE ADVERTISED EXTERNALLY.
To Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to: Jobs@queenslibrary.org
Click on a job that interests you, then scroll down to read the description.
- ► 2016 (200)
- Corporate Librarian, Davis Polk (NY)
- Legal Research Librarians (ProLiBRA) (NY)
- Adj Instructor-Info Lit, Bramson ORT Coll (NY)
- P/T - Direct Sales Rep, Dragonfly (Remote)
- Legal Business Research Mgr (Pro LiBRA) (PA)
- (Temp) Librarian (PRO LiBRA) (NJ)
- P/T - Wkend/Evening Lib, School of Visual Arts (NY...
- Research & Knowledge Mgmt Lib (Cl on For'n Rel'ns)...
- Data Specialist, Queens Library (NY)
- Content Manager, Voxgov (NY)
- Taxonomy & Metadata Sol'n Analyst (Techlink) (NY)
- F/T - Research Specialist, Akin Gump (NY)
- Interlibrary Loan Librarian, Hughes Hubbard (NY)
- F/T - Assoc Coord'r Metadata Svcs, Queens Lib (NY)...
- F/T - Corp Lib Spec't (2 positions), Skadden Arps ...
- F/T - Archivist, Nat'l Archives Records Adm (NY)
- P/T - Librarian, Berkeley College (NY)
- Digital Content Mgr, Achievement Network (Remote)
- P/T - Asst Librarian, NY School of Int Design (NY)...
- P/T - Ref/Instruction Librarian, Stony Brook U (NY...
- Information Specialist (Pro Libra) (NY)
- (Temp) Audiovisual Archivist, Rutgers U (NJ)
- F/T - Assoc Dir, Global Knowledge Ctr, Celgene (NJ...
- F/T - BI Analyst (Considine Search) (NY)
- ▼ October (24)
- ► 2014 (470)
- ► 2013 (467)
- ► 2012 (315)
- ► 2011 (169)
- ► 2010 (235)
Wednesday, October 14, 2015
Data Specialist, Queens Library (NY)