Librarian for Western European Languages and Literature
Research Services & Collections
Yale University Library
The University and the Library
The Yale University Library, as one of the world's leading research libraries, collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual growth and supports the teaching and research missions of Yale University and scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum of resources, including approximately thirteen million volumes and information in all media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic databases. The Library is engaging in numerous projects to expand access to its physical and digital collections. Housed in twenty-two buildings including the Sterling Memorial Library, the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, and the new Bass Library, it employs a dynamic and diverse staff of nearly six hundred who offer innovative and flexible services to library readers. To learn more about Yale University Library, please visit u!
s at www.library.yale.edu
The Library is seeking a creative and energetic subject specialist to serve the teaching and research needs of students and faculty studying Western European languages and literatures as well as Classics and Linguistics. This position offers an opportunity to advance services and to develop collections in all formats in these subject areas and others as assigned.
Reporting to the Head of Research Services & Collections and working in a collaborative environment, serves as professional liaison to the French, German, Italian, Spanish & Portuguese, Classics, and Linguistics Departments. Plans, promotes, and implements research education programs for undergraduates, graduates, and faculty of those departments. Also participates in the general library Research Education programs and programs for large undergraduate classes sponsored by Research Services and Collections. Provides specialized reference service to patrons. In collaboration with faculty and key Library staff, plans and implements digital library projects in support of teaching and research. Serves on library committees, working groups, and task forces, and is expected to be professionally active. May be required to assist in disaster recovery efforts. May be required to work at West Campus located in West Haven, CT.
Master's degree from an ALA-accredited program for library and information science and/or relevant professional experience in a research library required. Graduate degree in Romance literature, preferably PhD. Appointment to the rank of Librarian II requires two years of relevant professional experience and demonstrated professional accomplishments appropriate to the rank. Appointment to Librarian III requires five years of professional library experience and demonstrated professional accomplishments appropriate to the rank. Excellent reading and speaking knowledge of two Romance languages, preferably French and Italian, is required. In addition, a reading knowledge of German is desirable. Will possess a deep understanding of the research process and knowledge of the ways that new technologies are affecting the production of scholarship. Demonstrated commitment to outstanding public service. Excellent teaching skills preferred. Excellent oral and written communication skill!
s required. Ability to work succes
sfully in a highly collaborative environment.
Salary and Benefits
Rank and competitive salary will be based upon the successful candidate's qualifications and experience. Full benefits package including 22 vacation days; 18 holiday, recess and personal days; comprehensive health care; TIAA/CREF or Yale retirement plan; and relocation assistance. Applications consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names of three professional references should be sent by creating an account and applying online at www.yale.edu/jobs
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment screening. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.
Originally posted on a library school listserv.
Click on a job that interests you, then scroll down to read the description.
- ► 2014 (350)
- ► 2013 (467)
- ► 2012 (315)
- ► 2011 (169)
- ► 2010 (235)
- F/T - Reference Librarian - CUNY City College
- F/T - Project Manager/Technical Lead - an Insuranc...
- F/T - Info Systems Solution Specialist - LexisNexi...
- F/T - Assistant Lib/Ref Assistant - Seyfarth Shaw
- F/T - Investigative/Legal Researcher - iVision Int...
- F/T - Content Mgmt Sys Lead Engineer - Kaplan
- F/T - Library Marketing Manager - Hachette Book Gr...
- F/T -Senior Librarian- Correctional Library Servic...
- F/T - Research Assistant - GLSEN
- F/T - Archivist/ Digital Librarian - Standard & Po...
- F/T - Information Services Technologist - Barnard ...
- F/T - Director, Digital Library & Media Mgm't - HB...
- F/T - Library Operations Coordinator - MTV
- F/T - Reference/Instruction librarian - Berkeley ...
- P/T - Cataloger - Julliard School
- Temporary FT/PT - Art & Architecture Lib - NYIT
- F/T - Senior Application Dev - Columbia University...
- F/T - Lib Western European Languages and Lit - Yal...
- Freelance - Facts On File
- F/T - Inside Sales Rep-Library Databases - HW Wils...
- F/T - Electronic Collections Librarian - Yale
- F/T - Software Implementation Specialist - firm in...
- F/T - Web Content/Data Specialist - ANA
- F/T - Metadata Librarian - CUNY
- F/T - Archivist/Librarian - TRAK Records
- F/T - Information Specialist Researcher - an int'l...
- F/T - Marketing Analyst Researcher - an Int'l 't L...
- F/T- Archivist & Records Manager - RAMSA
- F/T - Engineering Librarian - Columbia University
- F/T - ILS and Discovery Systems Specialist - NYU
- F/T - Taxonomy Manager - a website
- Consulting -Project Archivist -Explorers Club
- P/T - Records Analysts - NYCEDC
- ▼ August (33)
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Librarian for Western European Languages and Literature