Head of Special Collections Cataloging, New York Public Library – NY, NY
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Special Formats Processing, the Head of Special Collections Cataloguing:
- Is responsible for providing strong leadership in the coordination and management of cataloging activities for all special collections & special formats materials throughout NYPL. Materials include, but are not limited to rare books, prints, photographs, non-commercial sound and video recordings, set, costume and lighting designs, ephemera, and artifacts.
- Plans, coordinates and manages workflows of the unit based on collection priorities and institutional goals.
- Works closely with BookOps and the Archives Unit on the development and standardization of cataloging policies and best practices throughout the Library.
- Represents the Library in organizations, conferences and consortia related to special collections cataloguing.
- Maintains a personal program of continuous education and professional development, and assists other staff members in developing such programs for themselves.
- Performs original cataloging for unique materials in all formats.
- Performs related duties as required.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited institution and additional graduate degree in humanities subject preferred.
- Minimum of five years successful professional experience in cataloging special collection material, including the use of OCLC Connexion. Experience with Millennium/Sierra preferred.
- Successfully demonstrated knowledge of cataloging procedures, principles and standards for multiple special formats.
- Demonstrated experience in the creation and maintenance of authority records.
- Demonstrated awareness of current trends and developments in cataloging and metadata schemas.
- Successfully demonstrated experience in the areas of project management, problem-solving and decision-making in a collaborative and coordinated planning environment.
- Successfully demonstrated experience in the supervision and training of staff.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with staff across departments.
- Successful budget management experience preferred.
- Familiarity with RDF, BIBFRAME and other Library Linked data initiatives.
- Working knowledge of AACR2, LCSH, MARC, DCRM, RDA and rare book cataloging principles is required.
- Extensive experience using descriptive and encoding standards for special collections and archival materials, such as DCRM, DACS, RBMS Thesauri, AAT, and EAD.