Trainer/IT Support Specialist, MAIN – NJ
The Trainer/IT Support Specialist position was established for the purpose of providing exemplary training services to the Morris Automated Information Network (MAIN). The employee is responsible for creating a centralized training program, maintaining the MAIN websites, and providing “Level 1” technical support as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates the training of member libraries’ staffs in the operations of the integrated library system’s (ILS) various modules and updates.
- Creates ILS training materials focusing on general usage, tips and shortcuts, advanced features, newly released features, and reporting methods for librarians.
- Maintains an online depository of the previously mentioned documentation on the MAIN website.
- Utilizes a content management system to create and perpetually update and evaluate the MAIN website.
- Manages a website-based consortium-wide events calendar.
- Attends webinars and conferences to learn how other libraries are training and using their websites.
- Takes initiative and investigates new products which could be integrated into a library setting.
- Researches what types of information should be part of a more robust public-facing website.
- Answers technical support tickets as assigned by the Technology Coordinator, which typically revolve around desktop support and new hardware deployment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 45% Training duties
- 30% Website management
- 20% Basic “Level 1” technical support
- 5% Other
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science preferred; Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field also acceptable
- 3 years of experience working in a technical field
- 2 years of experience working as an adult trainer in a professional setting
- 2 years of experience working in a library or library-related environment strongly preferred
- Expert communicator and presenter
- Ability to use a content management system for website maintenance purposes (Drupal or WordPress experience preferred)
- Understanding of or ability to learn the principles of an integrated library system (Polaris experience strongly preferred)
- Experience in carrying out basic “Level 1” technical support and deploying new PC hardware
- Proven track record of delivering excellent customer service in a professional environment
- Adept at using Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite software products
- History of taking initiative and perpetually integrating new technologies and products
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to interact with people with varying levels of knowledge or expertise of information technology
- Positive and cheerful disposition, not afraid to address groups of up to 200 people
The position is scheduled for a 40-hour work week and requires the ability to work on a flexible schedule, with occasional evening and weekend hours.
Work is performed primarily at the MAIN consortium office located at 560 West Hanover Avenue in Morristown, although occasional visits to member libraries may be required. This position requires an active New Jersey driver’s license and the ability to have transportation to make library site visits and attend meetings outside the office.
Work is performed primarily in a busy office environment while sitting at a desk or computer station, or while standing for extended periods of time. Physical exertion may be required to lift office supplies and library materials up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The need to respond to competing needs or meet deadlines could cause stress at times. Equipment used includes personal computers and various office machines.
- Salary commensurate with experience, but will meet the NJLA minimum for candidates with an MLS/MLIS.
- Generous health benefits
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Monday, April 18, 2016
- Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references’ contact information to Executive Director Phillip Berg at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please do not call the MAIN Office in regards to this job posting.