Assoc. Dir. Competitive Intelligence, Novo Nordisk – Princeton, NJ
Supports and collaborates with key stakeholders across NNI and North America, which includes frequent interactions with Senior Leadership. Collects and analyzes key information from the Sales force, Medical department, Managed Care, etc., as well as from external sources. Manages multiple direct reports
• COLLABORATION & COMMUNICATION: Develop and sustain working relationships with key stakeholders. Builds diverse internal and external network for primary intelligence gathering and cross-validation. Oversee development of presentations with clear storylines to communicate key conclusions and recommendations to Sr. Leadership.
• COMPETITIVE INSIGHT LEADERSHIP: Conducts special projects and adhoc requests as identified by leadership and in conjunction with current and anticipated business priorities. Drives and directs assimilation of competitive intelligence to ensure that marketing, clinical and business decision-making is supported by timely, accurate and cost-effective data and analysis. Viewed as a functional expert in this field by internal and external stakeholders.
• COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE LEADERSHIP: Drives development of holistic, predictive landscape assessments and oversees other ad hoc analyses to: proactively address issues in support of company objectives, mitigate decision risk, drive action plan development and ultimately improve commercial and clinical planning. Ensure self and team effectively analyzes and triangulates disparate and often incomplete information, determines significance, assesses implications, provides analyses and communicates data to key stakeholders with recommended actions and potential counter measures as appropriate; Ensures rigorous assessment of the accuracy, validity and reliability of gathered information. Ensure intelligence actions and efforts are aligned and integrated into North American planning process. Ensure self and team follows protocols and policies for the collection, assessment, classification, storage, and dissemination of competitive information in accordance with SCIP and Novo Nordisk’s SOP. Propose recommendations for continuous improvement. Maintains high level of awareness of developments in the relevant scientific and commercial world, as well as developing skills and techniques in spirit of best-in-class CI leadership. Leads and provides actionable recommendations based on analysis of internal and external business issues and environmental factors. Careful assessment of available data and determination of knowledge gaps. Translating data into trends with estimated business impact; translates challenges into research briefings and analysis. Manage all related global information with key departments in Denmark and effectively coordinate with NNAS CI. Oversee the creation and maintenance of CI tracking systems, repositories and infrastructure to help efficiently facilitate knowledge management across internal stakeholders.
• LEADERSHIP AND DEVELOPMENT: Champions the Triple Bottom Line in Competitive Intelligence and internal strategy consulting. Develops innovative solutions to unstructured, complex problems; recommendations have significant impact on company (time, people, budget) resources and may affect ability to achieve company goals. Pro-actively look for process improvement opportunities by challenging existing processes, proposing solutions, driving approved implementation plan to advance team capabilities, improve internal efficiencies and drive toward continued best-in-class functional leadership.
10-20% overnight travel required
Development of People:
Ensure that team members have 3P forms with annual goals and measurements that are consistent with the priorities of the business, and that interim reviews are held so that their work is focused on those priorities, and they understand their level of accountability for results and the measurement process.
Ensure that IDP forms include completed learning and aspiration plans and are in place for all reporting personnel to enable the achievement of goals and capability to assume increased levels of responsibility.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required, preferably in a science discipline. Advanced degree preferred
• Ability to balance multiple projects with competing deadlines
• Ability to influence people and facilitate cooperation of internal and external partners for both intelligence, acquisition and recommendation acceptance
• Ability to structure and present qualitative data in a compelling and convincing fashion
• Ability to structure and present qualitative data in a compelling and convincing fashion; strong writing, presentation, and project management skills
• Analytical and strategic thinking – able to see the big picture from scattered pieces of information; Ability to collect and synthesize complex information, making it relevant, understandable and actionable for key stakeholders
• At least 10 years of related experience in the pharmaceutical/healthcare industry, preferably with some experience in finance
• Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills required
• Expert level understanding of the intelligence cycle, especially collection, assessment, and management of primary data required.
• Prior Managerial Experience required
• Proven track record of success of project management, with the ability work collaboratively across all functions with various levels of stakeholders