Stony Brook University on Long Island is seeking a Web Services Librarian.
Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollack House in East Hampton, New York, the Mellon Award winning Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook Libraries are known for a wide-range of print and digital resources and world-renowned special collections. The Stony Brook Libraries belong to the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), with a Health Sciences Center Library that is a member of the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. The Libraries are engaged in an ambitious and dynamic strategic planning (2015-2018). The collection exceeds 2 million volumes, including e-books, print and electronic holdings of scholarly journal subscriptions, microforms, music recordings, and a sizable map collection. The SBU Libraries include 6 distinct facilities, including Melville Library, Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Chemistry, Math/Physics, Southampton and Health Sciences Libraries, and SUNY Korea-SBU campus. The University’s Libraries stand as the largest academic research library on Long Island, serving as a resource in the local community, state-wide, and nationally and internationally. The Libraries maintain memberships and affiliations in arXiv, Association of Research Libraries, SPARC, Center for Research Libraries, SUNY Connect, DuraSpace (as a SUNY member) the Council on Library and Information Resources, Digital Library Federation, Coalition of Networked Information, EDUCAUSE, Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research, Roper Center, OCLC Research Library Partnership, and ORCID through the National Network of the National Libraries of Medicine. The Libraries utilize Ex Libris’ Aleph for its integrated library system and have recently deployed EBSCO’s Discovery Service, DSpace, Content DM, and Omeka, are used for managing digital assets and a growing Institutional Repository.
|Descriptive Title: Web Services Librarian||REF#: F-9580-16-01-F|
|Budget Title: Senior Assistant Librarian/Associate Librarian||Faculty Position|
|Department: University Libraries||Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC|
|Salary: Commensurate with experience|
Responsibilities & Requirements: Stony Brook University Libraries seeks a creative and user-oriented colleague for the position of Web Services Librarian. Under the direction of the Associate Director for Library Technology, Discovery and Digital Services and as part of the Library Information Technology team, the Web Services Librarian is charged with supporting the coordination, planning, development, maintenance and evaluation of the Library's evolving web presence, including the main website, integrated web applications, user interfaces and mobile environment. The Web Services Librarian will be expected to participate in research, publication, teaching and service consonant with University standards for promotion and tenure. As a faculty librarian, the successful incumbent will take an active role in liaison, reference and instruction duties. The selected candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Under the direction of the Associate Director for Library Technology and in collaboration with the Library IT Department, the successful incumbent will lead the design and development of the University Libraries' web presence.
- Coordinate workflows, set guidelines and ensure that the libraries' web presence is accurate, up-to-date, user-centered and accessible.
- Manage interface customizations and the integration of commercial and open source library applications into the SBU Libraries' virtual spaces, with an emphasis on usability and user responsiveness.
- Assist with creating and administering library intranet and other web resources intended for staff use.
- Collaborate with library faculty and staff to develop and deliver research and reference focused material for the web, improve user interfaces, test new delivery platforms, and assist with technical issues.
- Explore, recommend and adopt standard and emerging tools, techniques, methods and applications to deliver a robust and reliable online experience for all library users.
- Manage web content management systems, such as WordPress. Work collaboratively with Library IT and other library departments to implement, develop and maintain web applications, interconnectivity, search functionality, and branding of the library website, catalog, serials portal, link resolver, discovery service, institutional repository and local databases.
- Lead and/or participate in processes for usability testing, analytics analysis and assessments of the Libraries' virtual spaces.
- Maintain currency with web technologies, software, tools and solutions. Participates in training efforts.
- Serve as primary point of contact for investigating and resolving web-based problems received from library users. Communicate issues or outages to stakeholder groups as they arise, as well as resolutions.
- Participate in liaison, reference and outreach efforts to the University.
- Conduct research and scholarship consistent with a tenure-track appointment. Participate in faculty governance, committee works, and continuing professional development.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Special Notes: This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. However, to guarantee consideration, please apply by 02/13/2016. Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter and resume/CV to:
Senior Staff Assistant
University Libraries Personnel Office
Melville Library, Room S1430B
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3300
Fax: (631) 632-7116
|Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 02/13/2016, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.|