Library Technical Services Manager (New York, Philadelphia or Washington)Company Description
Dechert is a leading international law firm with 22 offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. Founded in 1875, the firm has more than 800 lawyers allowing us the resources to deliver seamless, high-quality legal services to clients wherever they do business.
The Technical Services Manager has primary responsibility for the coordination of library acquisitions, budgeting, planning and cataloging the library collection, developing an inter-library loan program and maintaining all on-line research services. The Technical Services Manager will supervise the team of acquisitions and technical services librarians and clerks, and will work closely with the Research Manager who will be responsible for research and training. The Technical Services Manager will also be an integral part of the Library Management team and interact regularly with other members of the Library staff.
Key responsibilities center on hiring, directing, managing and evaluating the Technical Services team, including an acquisitions librarian, technical services librarian and clerks and working with the Library Management Team to develop a long range strategic plan.
These responsibilities include:
- Develop and manage a streamlined and centralized acquisitions process.
- Manage the library collection in EOS or similar library software; and develop a standardized firm wide approach to managing all publications.
- Develop and maintain policies for inter-library loans.
- In consultation with the Library Management Team, set and manage the budget on an ongoing basis, which will include developing a centralized approach for the management of the budget.
- Responsible for overseeing electronic subscriptions: trials, authentications, passwords and licenses
- Teach effective use of online databases to other members of the Library team.
- Assist in implementing and providing instruction in the use of new technologies for the Library team.
- Participate in development of electronic resources and new technologies, including portal resources for practice groups, access to electronic publications, and knowledge management initiatives, such as West KM.
- Participate in the activities of professional associations for personal development and to promote strong interlibrary relations.
- Strive to fulfill Department mission and to adhere to Department and Firm rules at all times.
- Practice and foster a culture of teamwork and cooperation.
- Perform any and all other duties as necessary for the efficient functioning of the team.
- Minimum of five years of law library experience
- Minimum of three years of law library management experience
- Knowledge of law library management and systems, including EOS and LookUp Precision
- Knowledge of law firm budgeting
- Knowledge of legal, business and medical print and electronic information sources and research methods
- Electronic research proficiency and analytical ability
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Knowledge of acquisitions processes and procedures
- Aptitude for detail and accuracy
- Ability to manage a team of professionals
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment
- Proficiency with MS Excel
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to attracting a diverse group of the most talented professionals from all sources, regardless of background. We hire men and women with sharp minds, a passion for learning and a strong desire to develop. We want every employee at the firm to feel welcome with an equal opportunity to excel. Thank you for your interest in Dechert LLP.