Library Research Manager (New York, Philadelphia or Washington)Company Description
Dechert is a leading international law firm with 22 offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. Founded in 1875, the firm has more than 800 lawyers allowing us the resources to deliver seamless, high-quality legal services to clients wherever they do business.
The Research Manager has primary responsibility for the coordination of library reference and research services provided firm-wide. Other important activities include training and orientation, outreach and coordination of research needs with departments and practice groups, continuing development of the library collection, services and resources, and use of technology to improve services and operations. The Research Manager will supervise the team of approximately ten research librarians and manage the work assignments and projects for the team. The Research Manager will work closely with the Technical Services Manager who will be responsible for acquisitions, budgets and all library technical services. The Research Manager will also be an integral part of the Library Management team and will interact with all levels of Firm personnel.
Key responsibilities center on hiring, directing, managing and evaluating Research Librarians; working with the Library Management Team to develop a long range strategic plan; coordinating reference operations and setting priorities among library research activities to provide the best possible service for the entire firm.
These responsibilities include:
- In consultation with the Library Management Team, set and enforce reference service policies; develop methodology for tracking and recording reference activity; oversee compliance with methodology
- Develop and oversee a protocol for working with each practice group to effectively manage the collection geared towards the specific practice area; and to develop librarian experts within each practice group
- Develop and oversee a current awareness program that services the legal and non-legal staff
- Provide and oversee research services to all members of firm, in all U.S locations, at all levels of inquiry complexity, using appropriate sources and analyzing results for presentation to the requesting user
- Participate in and oversee orientation of legal and non-legal staff in use and resources of the Library; contribute to the Library's formal and informal publications and outreach activities
- Teach effective use of online databases, to individuals and groups, using appropriate educational techniques and tools
- Participate in development of electronic resources and new technologies, including portal resources for practice groups, access to electronic publications, and knowledge management initiatives, such as West KM
- Manage the library collection development process and oversee a standardized firm-wide approach
- Develop and implement library marketing and promotional efforts in cooperation with the Library Management Team
- Work with the Library Management Team to budget and manage the library spends on an ongoing basis
- Participate in the activities of professional associations for personal development and to promote strong interlibrary relations
- Strive to fulfill Department mission and to adhere to Department and Firm rules at all times
- Practice and foster a culture of teamwork and cooperation
- Perform any and all other duties as are necessary for the efficient functioning of the team
- Minimum of five years of law library experience
- Minimum of three years of law library management experience
- Knowledge of law library management and systems
- Knowledge of legal, business and medical print and electronic information sources and research methods
- Electronic research proficiency and analytical ability
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Knowledge of acquisitions processes and procedures
- Aptitude for detail and accuracy
- Ability to manage a team of professionals
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment
- Proficiency with MS Excel
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to attracting a diverse group of the most talented professionals from all sources, regardless of background. We hire men and women with sharp minds, a passion for learning and a strong desire to develop. We want every employee at the firm to feel welcome with an equal opportunity to excel. Thank you for your interest in Dechert LLP.