City of New York
DEPT OF RECORDS & INFO SERVICE
Job Posting Notice
Civil Service Title: ASSOCIATE PUBLIC RECORDS OFFICE
Title Code No: 60217
Salary: $57,221.00/$65,804.00-$81,791.00 Frequency: ANNUAL
Title Classification: Competitive
Business Title: Head, Preservation & Conservation
Work Location: 31 Chambers St., N.Y.
Division/Work Unit: Municipal Archives
Number of Positions: 1
Job ID: 271823
Hours/Shift: Day - Due to the necessary duties of this position, candidate may be required to be on call and/or work various shifts such as weekends and/or evening shifts.
The NYC Department of Records & Information Services (DORIS) seeks an experienced conservator and preservation professional to manage all aspects of the preservation program for Library and Archival collections. With considerable latitude for independent judgment, the Head will assume wide-ranging responsibilities which include: surveying and project planning; disaster preparedness; pest management (including mold remediation); handling and care training; storage and housing; treatment; managing the daily operation of the conservation laboratory and supervising subordinate staff; participating in professional development and outreach activities including tours and exhibits; ensuring compliance with industry standards and best practices; and serving as a resource for NYC agencies. The Head will assume a vital role in current initiatives which include maintaining an effective disaster/emergency response and recovery plan; advising on measures necessary to protect collections during the relocation to a new facility; and establishing an internship program. The Head will work in close collaboration with the Director of the Municipal Archives, as well as library and archives staff.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. A master's degree from an accredited college in Library Science, Archival Science, American History, Political Science or a related area, plus two years of full-time experience in archival or library science, one year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity of incumbents performing at a professional level; or 2. Education and/or experience equivalent to "1" above. However, all candidates must have a master's degree from an accredited college and the one year of supervisory experience as described in "1" above.
A master’s degree in conservation and preservation of library and archival materials
At least three years of experience in an active Conservation lab
Knowledge and demonstrable experience with simple to complex treatments on varied formats especially books and paper
Demonstrated knowledge and skills in the evolving practice of conservation
Demonstrated project management experience
Enthusiasm and the ability to work effectively in collaboration with others
Strong writing and public speaking skills
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Search for the Job ID # 271823
External Candidates please go to www.nyc.gov/careers
Current NYC employees please go to www.nyc.gov/ess
NO E-MAILS, PHONE CALLS, FAXES OR PERSONAL INQUIRIES PERMITTED. NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.
Posting Date: 11/15/2016
Post Until: Until Filled
The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Click on a job that interests you, then scroll down to read the description.
- F/T - Asst Medical Librarian, NY Coll Podiatric Me...
- F/T - Sr Info Svcs Specialist-Temp, Bain (NY)
- Archivist (TechFetch) (NJ)
- Mgr, Knowledge Management, Ingredion (NJ)
- Digital Svcs Librarian, SUNY Purchase (NY)
- Asst Archivist, School of Visual Arts (NY)
- F/T - Research Resources Asst, Whitney (NY)
- F/T - Press Archivist/Librarian, Gagosian (NY)
- Head Librarian, Suffolk Co Comm Coll (NY)
- P/T - Adjunct Librarian, Weschester Comm Coll (NY)...
- F/T - Researcher (LATAM), eMarketer (NY)
- Head, Preservation & Conservation (City of NY)
- Archivist, City of NY (NY)
- F/T - Research & Knowledge Analyst, Skadden Arps (...
- ▼ December (14)
- ► 2015 (283)
- ► 2014 (470)
- ► 2013 (467)
- ► 2012 (315)
- ► 2011 (169)
- ► 2010 (235)
Friday, December 2, 2016
City of New York