DEPARTMENT: Information Center (IC)
REPORTS TO: IC Director
LOCATION: NYC Office or virtual in the United States
Catalyst is looking for a full-time reference librarian to join our fast-paced Information Center (IC). Your responsibility as a member of the IC team is to support Catalyst’s mission by providing reference to questions from our 800 member organizations, the media, scholars, and the public on a variety of diversity and inclusion topics. This librarian will also handle copyright and record retention, conduct secondary research, and create clear, concise, and impactful products in Catalyst’s areas of focus including STEM, men, Millennials in the workplace, LGBT, inclusive leadership, and people of color, among others.
• Provides in-depth answers to reference requests from key stakeholders, including Catalyst member organizations, staff, media, academics, government agencies, and students.
Knowledge Management, Copyright, Records Retention:
• Works closely with the Chief Knowledge Officer to define, manage, and update content management standards.
• Updates records-retention policies and teaches staff how to follow these policies.
• Develops expertise in copyright, and assists staff in maintaining Catalyst copyright standards.
• Supports institutional archive activities, including collecting digital and hard copy materials for historical preservation.
• Researches and creates or updates Information Center knowledge products, including statistical fact sheets, white papers, and trend reports.
• Provides data and input on infographics and data visualizations.
• Coordinates with the IC staff and Finance departments to complete monthly expense reports.
Knowledge and Skills
• Powerful research and reference abilities.
• Ability to work effectively on teams and collaborate.
• Excellent writing and strong communication skills.
• Advanced computer literacy (Windows-based environment) and technical skills, as well as a curiosity about and openness to exploring new technology.
• Ability to organize and manage own workload.
• Openness to learning on a daily basis.
• Flexibility to adapt to frequent and unexpected demands.
• Deadline-driven, results-focused, fast-paced environment with frequent and unexpected demands.
• Fun challenges and collaborative team.
• Team is geographically spread out, and relies heavily on real-time messaging system.
Education and Experience Requirements
This position requires that the candidate have an MLIS/MLS from an ALA-accredited institution or an international equivalent, and at least two years of experience with basic library processes and procedures. Knowledge of copyright is nice to have.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Librarian" in the subject line. The location of this position is flexible—please indicate whether the NYC office or the city of your home office would be the preferred location.