Position: Head of Southampton Library
For complete posting or to apply:
- - -http://naples.cc.sunysb.edu/Admin/CampusJob.nsf/987ddc6b836068648525659c0072eafa/b40b2237a6f6a52885258003004ff512?OpenDocument
Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New York, the Mellon Award winning Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook Libraries are known for a wide-range of print and digital resources and world-renowned special collections. The Stony Brook Libraries belong to the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), with a Health Sciences Center Library that is a member of the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. The Libraries are engaged in an ambitious and dynamic strategic planning (2015-2018). The collection exceeds 2 million volumes, including e-books, print and electronic holdings of scholarly journal subscriptions, microforms, music recordings, and a sizable map collection. The SBU Libraries include 6 distinct facilities, including Melville Library, Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Chemistry, Math/Physics, Southampton and Health Sciences Libraries, and SUNY Korea-SBU campus. The University's Libraries stand as the largest academic research library on Long Island, serving as a resource in the local community, state-wide and nationally and internationally. The Libraries maintain memberships and affiliations in arXiv, Association of Research Libraries, SPARC, Center for Research Libraries, SUNY Connect, DuraSpace (as a SUNY member), the Council on Library and Information Resources, Digital Library Federation, Coalition of Networked Information, EDUCAUSE, Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research, Roper Center, OCLC Research Library Partnership, and ORCID through the National Network of the National Libraries of Medicine. The Libraries utilize Ex Libris' Aleph for its integrated library system and have recently deployed EBSCO's Discovery Service, DSpace, ContentDM, and Omeka, are used for managing digital assets and a growing Institutional Repository.
Descriptive Title: Head of Southampton Library REF#: F-9675-16-08
Budget Title: Senior Assistant Librarian Faculty Position
Department: University Libraries Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Required Qualifications: ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree. Minimum of two years of library experience in an academic or research library. Knowledge of access services and reference. Strong evidence of ability to do research, publication, and service consonant with University standards for promotion and tenure. Demonstrated success in supervisory role. Demonstrated knowledge of library technology applications. Experience overseeing physical facilities, collections and/or operations.
Preferred Qualifications: Advanced degree. Demonstrated proficiency with emerging technologies in learning and research, communications and social media. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple responsibilities and to work collaboratively in a team environment. Teaching experience in a formal setting and/or knowledge of information literacy. Experience building, assessing and sustaining collections in all formats. Demonstrated ability to make administrative decisions and interpret policies, leadership skills in terms of strategic thinking, and human resource development. Strong evidence of outreach and academic engagement efforts with students and faculty.
Responsibilities & Requirements: Reporting to the Head of Academic Engagement, the Head of Southampton Library will be responsible for the following:
* Represents the University Libraries to the Schools of Southampton Arts, Health Technology & Management, and Marine & Atmospheric Science.
* Works closely with the Libraries' leadership to plan continuous improvement of library services and technology to meet the present and future needs of the Stony Brook Southampton Campus academic community.
* Works closely with the Head of Access Services in order to support library operations by addressing policy and operational procedures.
* Provides direction and leadership so that the Southampton Library can carry out the mission and vision of all the service goals and objectives of the library's strategic plan.
* Manages and evaluates performance of 2 professional employees and students, establishes appropriate service levels, and allocates staff resources accordingly.
* Collaborates to manage online and social media presence for the Southampton Library.
* Responsible for general and specialized reference, library instruction, outreach activities, liaison responsibilities, and collection development
* Responsible for professional participation in research, publication, teaching and service in consonance with University standards for promotion and tenure.
Special Notes: This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible. Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree<http://www.stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree>. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. However, to guarantee consideration, please apply by 08/16/2016
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application<https://www.asa.stonybrook.edu/asa/ASAForms/Department/HRS/Document/HRSF0113>, cover letter and resume/CV to:
University Libraries Personnel Office
Melville Library, Room S1430B
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3300
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 08/16/2016, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350
Click on a job that interests you, then scroll down to read the description.
- Archivist/Special Colln Librarian, Westbury Lib (N...
- Job Information Rsc Librarian, Brooklyn Public Lib...
- Health Sciences Librarian, Stony Brook U (NY)
- Dir for Collns and Rsrc Mgmt, Stony Brook U (NY)
- Librarian for School of Prof'l Studies Grad Prog, ...
- P/T - Ref & Instr Librarian, BCC-CUNY
- Substitute Ref & Inst Librarian, BCC-CUNY
- F/T - Head of Health Sciences Library, Stony Brook...
- User Engagement & Assessment Lib, Rutgers U (NJ)
- F/T - Research & Instr. Librarian, Yeshiva U (NY)
- Head of Southampton Library, Stony Brook U (NY)
- Social Sciences Librarian, Lehigh U (PA)
- ▼ August (12)
- ► 2015 (283)
- ► 2014 (470)
- ► 2013 (467)
- ► 2012 (315)
- ► 2011 (169)
- ► 2010 (235)
Thursday, August 4, 2016
Position: Head of Southampton Library