WITNESS Media Archive
Archivist (Full-time, Temporary-to- Permanent)
WITNESS (www.witness. org) is seeking a highly-motivated, self-directed individual to provide key collections management support in our Media Archive, based in the Fort Greene area of . Primary duties include significant cataloging and media management responsibilities, research for and co-ordination of external and internal requests for video and images, and co-ordination of video sales. This is a challenging and deadline-driven but very supportive and collaborative work environment. We provide opportunities for continuing professional development where possible.
The WITNESS Media Archive (www.witnessmediaar chive.org) is the repository for over 3000 hours of video from human rights defenders around the world. The Archive is committed to collecting, documenting, preserving, and providing access to the collection in support of advocacy, prosecution of justice, truthtelling, and the historical record.
Cataloging / Media Management (50%)
· Process incoming audiovisual media, including both physical and file-based content
· Perform descriptive cataloging, subject indexing & authority control of video, music and still image materials
· Work with WITNESS production teams to ensure good metadata capture and practices; ensure compliance with production deliverables
· Select/supervise selection of footage for online use, preservation, and other organizational needs
· Perform periodic rights review and compliance
Research and Access Coordination (30%)
· Respond to and fulfill queries from external clients for footage licensing and distribution; perform research, negotiations, and license creation
· Co-ordinate and track internal dub and video requests, serving as primary liaison between Production staff and departments
· Research collection for staff, and assist staff in database use
· Create and send periodic email newsletters to client lists
· Coordinate video sales operation including relationship with fulfillment house and Finance team, and updating of online store content
Additional Collections Management (10%)
· Update Archive web site and contribute to Archive blog
· Coordinate HVAC/environmental control maintenance
· Perform or supervise interns to perform day-to-day administrative work such as shelving, inventory, filing etc.
Internship Coordination (10%)
· Coordinate Archive internships
· BA in relevant field; Masters in archival or library field, or equivalent relevant experience
· Experience working with audiovisual materials in an archival context
· Demonstrated training/experience in cataloging and metadata concepts and standards
· Knowledge of digital technology relating to archival practice
· Demonstrated experience/proficie ncy with at least one of the following:
o copyright issues and rights management
o preservation of magnetic media
· Meticulous attention to detail and precision in all work
· Good organizational skills, ability to multi-task without sacrificing quality or accuracy of work
· Excellent oral and writing skills (English); ability to read, write, proofread, fact-check, and research with great accuracy
· Knowledge of Microsoft programs and familiarity with databases
· Solid general knowledge of foreign affairs, geography and recent political history; knowledge of human rights concepts and history is a plus
· Good interpersonal skills, flexibility, and sense of humor
· Licensing and rights management
· Familiarity with video production workflows
· Spanish, French or other foreign language
· Experience with Filemaker Pro databases
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applicants should email a resume and cover letter describing your interest and qualification for the position to: jobs@witness. org.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: May 4, 2009
START DATE: When filled.
**PLEASE DO NOT SEND DUPLICATE APPLICATIONS VIA MAIL OR EMAIL.
No phone calls will be accepted. Due to the volume of applicants anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant and will only be contacting those applicants that we feel best meet our criteria.
WITNESS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE CAREFULLY CONSIDER APPLICANTS FOR ALL POSITIONS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, CREED, GENDER, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, MARITAL OR VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS.
Originally posted on a Library School listserv.