Unit Chief, Senior Librarian, United Nations – NY
The position is located in the NY Dag Hammarskjöld Library, Department of Public Information (DPI) in the Outreach Division. The incumbent reports to the Chief Librarian and may be required to take charge of the Section in the absence of the Chief.
The Library’s primary function is to enable the delegations, Secretariat and other official groups of the Organization to obtain, with the greatest possible speed, convenience and economy, the information and documentation needed in the execution of their duties.
Within delegated authority, the Senior Librarian will be responsible for some or all of the following duties as the needs of the service require:
1. Under the guidance of the Section Chief, leads on the formulation and application of overall policies, procedures, objectives and guidelines in a specific area or for the Library as a whole. Main work areas within the Library are; Collection development: Acquisition and exchange of materials; Development and production of bibliographic and other databases; printed and electronic products; cataloguing, indexing and abstracting standards, and ensures they are maintained; Client services; Online services/digital library; Preservation and digitisation; Outreach and the Depository Libraries system.
2. Plans and oversees the management of activities undertaken by the Unit; ensures that work programmes and service are delivered in a professional, timely and effective manner, setting and observing defined standards; ensures liaison with other Units in the Library, other Secretariat services and other partners as required for delivery.
3. Contributes to the collective formation and delivery of Library strategy, business plans and marketing strategy. Works effectively with colleagues in the Library management team and in project teams to achieve the defined goals.
4. Ensures Unit services meet the needs of Delegations & Permanent Missions; the Secretariat; Depository Libraries; the wider public; in that order of priority.
5. Ensures the Unit is aware of relevant current professional and technological developments and adopts suitable best practice in both. Ensures the broad professional development of general service and professional staff, in relation to library & information work in general (not only their current functions) and, so far as practicable, their options for a future career in the wider Organisation.
6. Evaluates the performance of vendors and exchange partners and negotiates charges where necessary.
7. Manages budgets and undertakes procurements as required, in conjunction with the relevant services of the Organisation.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
To apply: https://inspira.un.org/psc/UNCAREERS/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/UN_CUSTOMIZATIONS.UN_JOB_DETAIL.GBL?Page=UN_JOB_DETAIL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=45087